Surprisingly, the roof is one of the most overlooked maintenance items of the home. Set above normally eye level, often the first sign of a problem with the roof is a major leak. Before this happens to you, take a proactive look at these signs it’s time to replace your roof and avoid more expensive damage later.
- Check accessible areas for signs of water damage, such as the attic. Additionally, look for evidence of gaps by noticing if there is daylight showing through the roof.
- Check for signs of wood rot in the attic and the eaves around the house. Water leaks can be small, but when constant seepage encounters wood, it can cause problems.
- Moss is another sign that moisture may be spreading. If there is moss on the roof or shingles, it means water is gathering and should be addressed.
- Replace missing or damaged shingles immediately. The roofing professional will also check to ensure the timbers beneath them are still dry and solid.
- Flashing seals, the seams between the roof and the home. Flashing can come loose over the years and must be maintained and reviewed periodically.